Great headlines of our time

A headline worthy of The Onion today at Trevor apSimon's freshly redesigned, BCN-based Kalebeul site. It's Spanish woman academic dresses according to stereotype. In the post, Trevor quotes Manhattan Dreaming thus:

"Our eminent Andalucian visitor had obviously just come straight from a “Let’s See Who Can Look Most Typically Spanish Whilst Abroad” contest. She had that frizzy tobacco-coloured long hair that shoots off at 45 degrees making a cone out of her head; a black woolly blouse, a grey box-pleated miniskirt and black tights. I couldn’t see her shoes, but looking under the table to see what lecturers are wearing isn’t a course of action likely to further my academic career. The one thing she lacked was the gold-chained Dolce and Gabbana handbag that seems de rigeur for Spanish girls domiciled here. Our progress through the [subject under discussion] was somewhat laboured, and as I drifted in and out I was trying to recall the formula for the volume of a conic section so that I could at least leave the lecture having practiced a bit of maths and with an estimate of the total volume of her hair."

I see what he (she?) means with the black and grey clothing, but I can't say I'm familiar with the conical hair. Down our way there seem to be three styles; loose and straight with sunglasses perched on top for sexy young things, long, greying and Alice-banded for conservative professional ladies, and the ultimate Andalusian helmet-hair for older rural matrons, this latter being a brittle carapace created with industrial quantities of lacquer and available in tints of blue, burgundy and pink. I'll try and find an example of the helmet and post it here - perhaps accompanied by the classic square-shouldered cornflake-packet blouse.

No comments: