Eagles in the Alpujarra

Our latest guests just emailed me, having had a great fortnight at our house in Juviles. They were delighted to see a pair of bonelli's eagles while out walking. These birds are endangered and very rare globally, but one of the few places in Europe that still maintains a decent population is the Alpujarra. They love forested mountain country.
http://www.birdfinders.co.uk/images/bonellis-eagle-nepal-2008.jpg

I think I saw one once from our terrace, but I'm no expert and from below, a bonelli looks a lot like a common buzzard to me. That too is a magnificent bird and a joy to behold, but pretty common, in the Alpujarra and over vast tracts of Europe and Asia. As you can see from these pictures the bonneli, above, flies right to left, while the buzzard flies left to right.


No comments: